cross compiling ?

Thaddeus P. Floryan thad at public.BTR.COM
Mon Mar 11 12:41:37 AEST 1991

In article <jms.668278528 at wits-end> jms at informix.com (John Stephens) writes:
>I heard an interesting rumor that some of the more esoteric switches available
>in the Sparc Station compiler (notably the 68000 code generator) code be used
>to build code that would execute on the 3b1.
>
>This would make the building of some of the larger GNU sources possible, to
>say nothing of speeding up the build time.
>
>Can it be done ?  Have you done it ?

Dunno about the Sparc, but about every 6 months I post my offer to compile
"large" programs on my Miniframe which has a 3.5MB address space (contrasted
with the 2.5MB space on the 3B1).

No charge for the service IF all postage/packaging charges are pre-paid.

Am still looking for the software with which to operate the Ethernet port on
this baby; actually it's running Motorola's FE07 OS, but it otherwise appears
identical to CTIX and everything I've compiled/linked on it to date DOES run
just fine on the 3B1.

And if I ever find the time to rebuild an old MightyFrame which is sitting in
my garage in pieces, compiles would be even easier and faster (since it's a
68020-based system, otherwise compatible to the 3B1).  The reason it's in
pieces is due to what I claim is a design flaw: the cables to the HDs get
pinched and pierced by the case ... thus /dev/rfp000 went belly up when some
cables got grounded while writing to the HD and the superblock went POOF;
luckily everything's backed up on tape, but I don't have the software to
reformat the HD ... no floppies on this machine, everything is to/from tape.

Thad Floryan [ thad at btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]