Problems hooking parallel printer to my 7300 (repost)

Eric Swanson editor at wet.UUCP
Sun Mar 3 17:19:37 AEST 1991

Sorry if this is a duplicate, but news has been flaky here the past
few weeks and I haven't got a reply since I posted this a few days
back.  Thanks...   ---E

Okay, someone must have seen this one:

I've never hooked a printer to my 7300 before.  Bought a parallel
printer (a Panasonic KX-P1180 for what it's worth), got one of those
much-talked-about male-to-male Centronics cables, hooked it up, used
the printer configuration menu from ua, and got JUNK!

Nature of junk is that if I create a file 'test' that looks like the
below:

  this is a test
  this is only a test
  this is line three

and I (foolishly) type:

  lp test

the printer shows:

  this`is`a`testMJthis`is`only`a`testMJthis`is`line`threeMJML

and it only shows that after I take it off-line (that is, there's no
CR at the end of the line; I have to flush the printer's buffer to get
it to print this).

I've looked through /usr/spool/lp/interface/Other (the executable
interface file) and found nothing that explains this.  To corroborrate
(sp?) this, I typed:

  cat test >/dev/lp
  cat test >/dev/rawlp

These both returned similar results (though using 'rawlp' sent fewer
characters; omitting pretty much what it should omit, with the sole
exception of ALL THIS JUNK).

Also, just to be sure, I dug a Kaypro out of the closet and hooked it
up to the printer.  Printer functioned perfectly, so bad characters
are definitely coming from the unixpc.

Configuration rundown:
  7300, 0.5Meg, 20Meg, Unix 3.0, blah blah blah.  References available
  upon request.

Please respond.  This thing is just about driving me crazy.  I've got
a copule more avenues to explore tomorrow, but now it's past midnight
and I'd like to get to work on time _once_ this week...

Editor.
editor at wet.UUCP   {ucsfcca,claris}!wet!editor   wet!editor at cca.ucsf.edu
Marshmallows are God's way of saying "You Are What You Eat".