ICON availability for the 3B1/UNIX-PC/PC 7300

thad at btr.btr.com thad at btr.btr.com
Mon Mar 4 19:40:07 AEST 1991

ICON.  Have you heard of it?

I came across a reference to it while browsing some of the stuff I snarfed
off the 'net and found a program which "fixes" tar archives containing files
whose names are > 14 characters long ... seems useful for us SysV types!  :-)

Unpacked it, got ready to warm up the ol' compiler, and, lo and behold, no
Makefile and no *.c files.  Hmmm, OK, time to read the READ.ME

Interesting.  At cs.arizona.edu in the ftp area can be found a copy, with docs,
for the 3B1.  Considering the source archive tree is approx. 5MB, you probably
just want the executable archive.  Specifically:

/icon/v8/Interpreter/binaries/unix/unixpc/*  has just the two executables

and

/icon/v8/Interpreter/binaries/ue.cpi  is a cpio archive of all the executables,
docs, and sample programs for the 3B1.  It's a cpio archive viewable per:

	cpio -ictv < ue.cpi

and unpackable per "cpio -icdm < ue.cpi" and containing several more cpio
archives).

ICON is not at osu-cis, so this is the sole source.  The cpio archive (NOT
compressed) is about 350Kbytes.  Also at cs.arizona.edu are snobol4 sources
and some other goodies.

Does anyone know HOW to get this put on osu-cis?  I don't believe I have
ftp "uploading" privileges and wasn't about to try a telnet and raise some
alarms.  Is Lenny still reading this newsgroup?

Thad Floryan [ thad at btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]