Help on sysinfo/windows needed

Marc Weinstein mhw at fithp.uucp
Sun Mar 31 09:19:54 AEST 1991

I recently installed sysinfo/loadavgd on my 3b1, with some modifications.
It seems to work fine, except with one irritating exception - the window
loadavgd creates to display load average is one of the windows managed
by the window manager.  This means when I toggle through my windows (I
have the new window manager installed), I will eventually make the load
average window the current window, which I have to skip since it's never
a window one would want to interact with.

I tried making this window a "system window" by using a call to ioctl:

ioctl (0, WIOCSYS, 3);

but this appears to have no effect, perhaps because there are only three
recognized system windows.  If it worked, this would be ideal, since it
appears that system windows are completely unattached to your current
login/windows.  For instance, when you start up /etc/ph, the window it
creates and initializes is in no way associated with your login.

Can anyone tell me how to get this to work?

Also, could someone please explain to me why the window descriptor in
loadavgd.c is always 0 and 1.  Is this standard for descriptors or is
this just a correspondence to stdin/stdout because the program does an
freopen to reattach these streams?

--
Marc Weinstein
{simon,royko,tellab5}!linac!fithp!mhw		Elmhurst, IL