stty: : Not a typewriter

Donald Lashomb donlash at uncle.uucp
Tue Mar 12 05:52:32 AEST 1991

In article <1495 at das13.snide.com> dave at das13.snide.com (Dave Snyder) writes:
>That's the error message I get while doing various things on my machine.

[...]
>stty: : Not a typewriter
[...]
>Anyone have any ideas?

Are you using ksh?  If so, check your ENV file ($HOME/.kshrc) for the
stty command.  Whenever ksh starts up, it reads and executes its ENV
file.  Many people put stty and other like commands in there.  However
when ksh is run unconnected to a tty, these commands fail with the
error message you see.  The answer to this problem is to isolate the
stty command in ENV by testing ksh's "$-" variable.  eg:

	case $- in
	*i*)	# interactive ksh
		stty sane
		;;