Paranoia freaks under SVS Fortran!

Jeffrey Bromberger jeffrey at notvax.ccny.cuny.edu
Sat Mar 2 07:39:00 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar1.194517.10627 at notvax.ccny.cuny.edu>  I write:
[Failures in single precision PARANOIA]
> The number of  SERIOUS DEFECTs  discovered =    1
> The number of  DEFECTs  discovered =            5
> The number of  FLAWs  discovered =              2
> The arithmetic diagnosed has unacceptable Serious Defects.

Well, I did the double precision and C versions, and you wouldn't believe
the results:

[Double precision PARANOIA]
 The number of  DEFECTs  discovered =            4
 The number of  FLAWs  discovered =              2
 The arithmetic diagnosed may be Acceptable despite inconvenient Defects.

And from the C version:
The number of  FAILUREs  encountered =       1.
The number of  SERIOUS DEFECTs  discovered = 1.
The number of  DEFECTs  discovered =         3.
The number of  FLAWs  discovered =           2.
The arithmetic diagnosed has unacceptable Serious Defects.
Potentially fatal FAILURE may have spoiled this program's subsequent diagnoses.

I wonder just what's going on here.  I haven't done the double-precision
fix to notvax; I'll run this again on my home machine that has been
fixed.  All this might mean nothing, just that it's not correct to
have so much in the error department.  For those who use floating
point math, beware!

Jeffrey L. Bromberger
System Operator---City College of New York---Science Computing Facility
jeffrey at sci.ccny.cuny.edu			jeffrey at ccnysci.BITNET
	Anywhere!{cmcl2,philabs,phri}!ccnysci!jeffrey