Port of MINIX to Unix-PC

Jyrki Kuoppala jkp at cs.HUT.FI
Sat Mar 16 00:55:28 AEST 1991

In article <5409 at umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, ac999321 at umbc5 (ac999321) writes:
>Just curious; why would you want to port Minix to this system when you
>already have a better version of Unix running on it?

How about things like having the source, being able to fix bugs, being
able to make the kernel better ?  Minix is a good choice for this now,
because it has good support from the net community and because there
are no truly freely distributable alternatives (for the whole system,
I mean, but that will probably change sometime before year 2000)
currently available (hmm, don't know if Trix counts).

Let's take an example: I wasn't satisfied with the 14 character file
name length limitation on Minix.  I just changed two constants in two
include files, wrote a program to convert directories to the new
format and rebuilt my system - almost by magic it has 62-character
file names now.  How do you that on the Unix-PC's OS ?

//Jyrki