how to config internal modem?

derekp at gvlf9-m.gvl.unisys.com derekp at gvlf9-m.gvl.unisys.com
Wed Mar 20 23:17:11 AEST 1991

	I am in need of some help in configuring terminals and
	the internal modem on my 3b1.
	I used 'ua' to configure the 2-rs232 ports on my expansion
	card, and was successful the first time. (gettys were started, I
	dont know if the ports actually worked yet because my cables were
	incorrect). The combo card software is installed, and had been
	functional when this machines former owner used it.
	I thought that I should change from hardware handshake
	to software handshake in the config, so I logged back in as install
	and changed port 1 ok, but when I changed port 2, the window
	hung up (=> working <= prompt in window). In desparation, I pushed
	reset. Now I notice that during boot, the hard disk seems to spend
	a bit more time doing file system check(??) ( the disk seems to oscillate
	the heads in an area for a bit of time). Is this an indicator of the
	need to run fschk?? What did I do wrong, and why cant I reconfig
	port 2 without hanging up in the window??

	Next up, 'cu'. I tried configuring the modem, successfully so it
	seems. I logged in as a user and did 'cu -s 1200 <some-phone_number>'
	and got an error (was it no configured lines??). The man page
	makes a reference to a uucp file 'L-dev', which is empty.
	Question- does phone manager have to be installed to use  the
	internal modem via 'cu'?? (I don't have it installed). If not,
	what is it that I need to do to set up 'cu' for use?

	Finally, a ram upgrade on my recently acquired combo card caused a bit
	of grief when I found that I had a bad socket (bent pins) on a parity
	chip. This was in the low address block in the address space so it
	was undetected until the upgrade from 512 to 1.5 meg. In trying
	to use the ram test, I read that system diagnostic roms were/are
	available. I'm sure this has been discussed in the past, but is
	there a more useful ram test available? Are the roms available?
	To have to wait 15 or 20 minutes because the ram test has a poor
	user interface is a pain. Things like loop on test, test from
	<range> to <range>, run 'this' test only, the normal stuff, would
	be a real plus for problems.

	If the answers to these questions are useful to others, please post
	otherwise, mail to
		derekp at gvlf9

		Thanks...