HDB UUCP doesn't switch speeds??

Bill Meahan wwm at wa8tzg.mi.org
Fri Mar 8 10:35:09 AEST 1991

Sorry to bore everyone but I didn't get ANY response to the last time I
posted this so I doubt if it ever got anywhere.  (Ususally I get at
least some sympathy :-)

Sometimes, the usual 2400-baud route to my newsfeed becomes temporarily
unavailable for various reasons.  No sweat, there is a 1200-baud route
on a different phone number so I've just simply added a SECOND entry for
my newsfeed with a 1200-baud entry to my /usr/lib/uucp/Systems file.
HDB UUCP is (supposed to be) smart enough to continue searching the
Systems file for addiditonal entries and will try the "N+1" engry if
entry "N" fails.

Yeah, right.

That DOES work with HDB UUCP on my HP9000/825 at work, but not with HDB
UUCP on my trusty 3b1 at home.

That's not quite true.  The 3b1 HDB **does** TRY to execute the N+1st
entry, but if it is a different speed, the serial port doesn't get
switched!!

I used the -x9 debug flag on uucico and saw a call to 'fixline' with a
parameter of '1200' when the 2nd entry was processed, but /dev/tty000
remained at 2400 baud (as indicated by the speed indicator on my
external modem) and the connection failed when the computer couldn't
talk to the remote.  Commenting out the 2400-baud entry (thus forcing
use of the 1200-baud entry) allows a perfectly fine (but SLOW)
connection so there is no hardware problem and the
Systems/Dialers/Devices files are set up correctly.

Anyone have any ideas?  I'm running 3.51m now, having upgraded from
3.51a last week, and the problem persists.

Thad?  Lenny?  Anybody??
--
Bill Meahan (WA8TZG)             |   Programming is simple:
wwm at wa8tzg.mi.org  OR            |