problems with diff3 in RCS:rcstest

Kris A. Kugel kak at hico2.UUCP
Wed Mar 27 06:45:50 AEST 1991

In article <1345 at hico2.UUCP>, kak at hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) writes:
> I'm trying to get the recently posted RCS package to work on my 3b1.
> I've installed the recently posted gnu diff package said make the
> RCS package work correctly.
> Now I'm trying to get RCS to pass the rcstest test included
> in the RCS package.
>
> I've gotten it working (with some minor adjustment to rcstest)
> until it trys an rcsmerge.  output from rcstest -v:

[description of failure of rcsmerge test in rcstest deleted]

It looks like the problem was due to having made rcs
once with the wrong options in src/Makefile, and
then not deleting the (created) shell file "merge".
(Paul Eggert responded that I need to remake merge,
 and that fixed the posted problem).

In addition to this problem (but unrelated to it),
I had made diff3 with bindir set to /usr/local/bin,
but had installed diff as /bin/diff, so I needed
to remake diff3, too.

Once I took these steps, everything worked out fine!
Thanks to Andy Warner, Paul Eggert, and Gordon L. Burditt.
(and anybody else who sent a response I haven't gotten yet
 -- sometimes email is slow)
                               Kris A. Kugel
                             ( 908 ) 842-2707
                      uunet!tsdiag.ccur.com!hico2!kak