csh

James Birdsall jwbirdsa at amc-gw.amc.com
Tue Mar 5 04:34:43 AEST 1991

   I got the csh from osu (pub/att7300/csh-src.tar.Z). It compiled without
significant incident using gcc 1.39 -- one warning in the last file.

   It seems to be a reasonably functional csh. The job control features are
missing, but given the lack of kernel support, this is hardly surprising.
History, aliases, and filename expansion all seem to work normally. The
enhanced cd (with cdpath) works. The builtin function "eval" is missing.

   There's only one thing that really really really should be there that
isn't. IT DOESN'T DO FILENAME COMPLETION! _Why_ doesn't it do filename
completion? I don't know of any technical reason why the 3B1 couldn't
support it (unlike the job control stuff). Of course, filename completion
is one of the major reasons that I wanted a csh in the first place.

   Ranting aside, the most difficult part of getting csh running is hacking
up a .cshrc and a .login, which amounts to boiling down /etc/profile.
It wasn't terribly difficult, although the lack of "eval" was a pain. I had
to redirect the output of a "tset -s ..." to a temporary file and source
from the temporary file.

--
James W. Birdsall   WORK: jwbirdsa at amc.com   {uunet,uw-coco}!amc-gw!jwbirdsa
HOME: {uunet,uw-coco}!amc-gw!picarefy!jwbirdsa OTHER: 71261.1731 at compuserve.com