3.5 smgr keeps dying

Mariusz Stanczak Mariusz at fbits.ttank.com
Tue Mar 5 17:29:26 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar4.042143.1847 at fithp.uucp> mhw at fithp.uucp (Marc Weinstein) writes:
>My smgr dies every so often and has to be restarted.  I first noticed
[...]
>Has anyone seen this problem or knows how to fix it (or prevent it)?

Yes, I've experienced a similar behavior... it was caused by a loose wire
in the mains... in the socket where the power cord plugs in.  Initially
just `smgr' would die ("for no reason"), then the "breaks" where large
enough to cause the hard drive heads to park (but the system would stay up),
etc., etc., it escalated. (oh, BTW.  "things" would happen when the fans
tried to shift to high speed, putting more load on the system).
SO, in one sentence ;-) uneven power to the system was the cause in my case.
After geting the wire soldered, all troubles went away.

-Mariusz
INET: Mariusz at fbits.ttank.com
CIS : 71601.2430 at compuserve.com
UUCP: ..!uunet!zardoz!ttank!fbits!Mariusz