Different boot problem...

Thaddeus P. Floryan thad at btr.BTR.COM
Fri Mar 1 22:12:56 AEST 1991

In article <12880 at helios.TAMU.EDU> n138ct at tamuts.tamu.edu (Brent Burton) writes:
>[...]
>The voltages were the same as I mentioned in my last posting.
>EXCEPT the -12V (pin 18 on the PS-->MB cable) was +0.79V.  This is
>a bad sign.  What hints are there?

Sounds like a bad -12V IC regulator.  As I recall, the -12V regulator is
right at the front of the power supply, so replacing it should be
straightforward.

Not too much on the system uses -12VDC, and I don't believe anything could
have been damaged by the voltage you measured, but what concerns me is what
caused the IC regulator to go belly-up.  If it's a problem with other
circuitry in your system, then you gotta problem.  Maybe temporarily using
an external power supply may help isolate the trouble area if there is a
problem on the motherboard.

If you need the power supply pinouts (part of one of my regular postings in
this regards), send email.

Thad Floryan [ thad at btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]