stty: : Not a typewriter

Ward Griffiths ward at tsnews.Convergent.COM
Sat Mar 9 08:26:54 AEST 1991

rmfowler at texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) writes:

>In article <1991Mar7.130721.4475 at dms3b1.uucp> dave at dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) writes:
>>In article <1496 at das13.snide.com> dave at das13.snide.com (Dave Snyder) writes:

>>I've gotten rid of it by adding "shell=/bin/sh" to my EXINIT environment
>>variable.  That causes sh instead of ksh to be used for any "!" actions.
>>However, I'm not really satisfied with that solution, because sh doesn't
>>understand "~/" notation, so I have to use $HOME (e.g., ":r $HOME/.signature")
>>which is annoying.

>Yuck...
>And doesn't your mailer or poster add your .signature for you anyway?

Believe it or not, neither the AT&T /bin/mail or the BSD
/usr/ucb/mail (known as mailx on many AT&T systems will append
a signature to a message automatically.  It's only when you get
involved with the fancier mailers that this feature becomes
available.  Most posting and newsreading software presently in
use does this also.  But the older mail programs are really
quite primitive things, and the mail program provided with the
Unix PC is more primitive than that I first used with Version 7
Tandy Xenix.

--
          Ward Griffiths, Unisys NCG aka Convergent Technologies                The people that make Unisys' official opinions get paid more.  A LOT more.
===========================================================================          To Hell with "Only One Earth"!  Try "At Least One Solar System"!

If I say love, I'll sound sentimental, and if I say sex, I'll sound cynical.    I'll call it pair bonding and sound scientific.         The Golden Apple