Help! Problem with modem/uugetty interaction

Floyd Davidson floyd at ims.alaska.edu
Thu Mar 14 20:56:45 AEST 1991

In article <460 at beartrk.beartrack.com> cjp at beartrk.beartrack.com (CJ Pilzer) writes:

>I have had the same problem with a Hayes Smartmodem 2400 which is connected
>to the tty000 port on my 7300.  I am running 3.51m, but had the same trouble
>with 3.50 and 3.51.
>
>I am not using HDB, but uugetty seems to run just as it should with the
>Smartmodem internal strap set to dumb so that it echos nothing.  If the
>strap is so set I can not use any chat scripts.  If I change the internal
>strap, even if the modem is configured ATQ1E0, after the first incomimg call
>the RD and SD leds seem to be full on.  I think that they are blinking very
>fast due to echo and response from the computer to the modem and back.

The modem needs to be optioned to not echo commands and to not send
response messages.  The modem also must be configured to reset and
go to the command mode whenever DTR is dropped.

And you need to write that configuration to the eeprom or nvram or
whatever it has.

I'm writing this without any modem books at hand, so...

Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson  |  floyd at ims.alaska.edu   |  Alascom, Inc. pays me
Salcha, AK 99714   |    Univ. of Alaska      |  but not for opinions.