csh

Bruce Lilly bruce at balilly.UUCP
Thu Mar 7 14:31:42 AEST 1991

In article <5964 at amc-gw.amc.com> jwbirdsa at polaris.amc.com () writes:

>   There's only one thing that really really really should be there that
>isn't. IT DOESN'T DO FILENAME COMPLETION! _Why_ doesn't it do filename
>completion? I don't know of any technical reason why the 3B1 couldn't
>support it (unlike the job control stuff). Of course, filename completion
>is one of the major reasons that I wanted a csh in the first place.

So use ksh. The version on osu-cis from the STORE is reasonably recent,
and does do filename completion, as well as many of the other ksh
features.

>   Ranting aside, the most difficult part of getting csh running is hacking
>up a .cshrc and a .login, which amounts to boiling down /etc/profile.

Of course, another nice thing about ksh is that it's upwards compatible
with the Bourne shell.  You needn't mess with .cshrc, .login and other csh
arcana.

I used to use csh about 5 years ago on an HP machine.  I first used ksh on
the unix-pc about 3 years ago, and I loved it.  Last week I was forced to
use a machine that didn't have ksh, only csh. That was incredibly
frustrating! (or should that be \! :-)
--
	Bruce Lilly		blilly!balilly!bruce at sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM