Tandy/Radio Shack DMP 200 printer and a 3b1

Kevin O'Gorman kevin at kosman.UUCP
Wed May 29 04:02:27 AEST 1991

harter at ficc.ferranti.com (ron harter) writes:

>I am really getting desperate. I would like to know who made the DMP 200 for
>Radio shack and what type printer driver should I use (ie epson panasonic ...)

>Has anyone hacked togather a printer driver?

Hmm.  You don't need a driver exactly (you could do it that way, but it's
overkill by a long way).

You'll find that picking a printer name just does a lookup in the text file
/etc/printers (q.v.) and picks a very simple shell script which you'll find
in /usr/spool/lp/model/  There are only two of these; they don't really know
anything about your printer.  Your problem is that nroff doesn't either.

The script gets renamed and moved to /usr/spool/lp/interface.  You may need
to write a filter for your printer, and put it in the pipeline that is the
heart of the interface script.

I did this for my various printers (Okidata 92 and ATT471), just to optimize
print head motion, reduce noise, and speed up all that overstriking and
underlining.  Presumably you're having trouble with ^H (backspace) and the
half-line and reverse linefeeds.  Find out how your printer does these and
it's not hard at all to write the filter.
--
Kevin O'Gorman ( kevin at kosman.UUCP, kevin%kosman.uucp at nrc.com )
voice: 805-984-8042 Vital Computer Systems, 5115 Beachcomber, Oxnard, CA  93035