Re-writing wind.o

david.e.wexelblat dwex at cbnewsj.att.com
Wed May 8 22:44:25 AEST 1991

In article <96 at morwyn.UUCP> forrie at morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) writes:
> This is in response to the recent message posted about patching and/or
> re-writing the file wind.o ....
>
> Would this then mean that we would not need to have the VIDPAL upgrade?
> If so, that would be a great idea... I'm curious to see more information
> about this project.  Thanks.
>
> Forrie
> --
> --------------------=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--------------------
> Forrest Aldrich, Jr.|   ...uunet!eci!morwyn!forrie       |forrie at morywn.UUCP
>                     |  ...uunet!eci!zinn!morwyn!forrie   |
> CREATIVE CONNECTIONS|...uunet!unhd!unhtel!morwyn!forrie  |Graphic Illustration
> ------------------\-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-/------------------
>                    \___ PO Box 1541 - Dover, NH  03820 ___/

Since I'm the one that started all this, I'll try to elaborate.  Basically,
what I am trying to do is to be able to pitch the standard wind.o, yet
still have my console act like a smart terminal when MGR is not running.
This includes a screen saver, and enough ansi-subset stuff to do
what I need (this is currently an undefined limit at this point -- I will
probably do as much as I can before I get sick of bothering with it).

I have no intention of doing any work on the standard wind.o, or
making my replacement look like it.  This also has no impact on
the need for vidpal for MGR.  You either need the hardware hack,
or the driver that emulates it, if you intend to run MGR.  It would
be possible to integrate the vidpal emulator into my driver, if
people want that.  Personally, I suggest doing the vidpal hack.  It
really is fairly close to a trivial addition, and from some reports
is at least an order of magnitude faster.

It dawned on me today that regardless of this, I will need to add
screen blanking to MGR.  Since MGR writes directly to the screen
memory, blanking it from a driver will have no impact.  Unless
someone can point to a hardware register that allows the screen
to be blanked.  I looked in that hardware ref, but I'm not much
of an EE, so I didn't find anything.  The description of
the video section didn't give any indication of how to do such
a thing.  Any of you hardware types see any way to do this?
(JBM -- are you out there? :->).

As an aside -- the disassembler has a whole slew of bugs in it.
I have fixed most of them; and I will post patches soon.