Help with tty000 needed

Van Cleef Henry H vancleef at iastate.edu
Wed May 8 11:23:22 AEST 1991

 I have a new old stock 3b1 with Unix 3.0 that I am setting up.  I can't
do a login from a terminal connected to /dev/tty000. I get the login
prompt, type an account name and return, and I can hear the 3b1 disk
churn as though it is trying to put up the password: prompt, but nothing
appears on the terminal screen.  I have tried killing processes to get
the getty to respawn, but can't clear the line to do anything until I
reboot the system.  I have used the install menu to shut the line off,
and can copy files to and from the terminal screen, so there is a fair
chance I have the RS-232 stuff set up OK.  What communicates is
9600,N,8,1.  I have also tried 9600,E,7,1 on the terminal, but
communications are garbled, although I get the same effect with a login.

Can't get an Intel 2400 bit modem to talk to the system either.

Using the on-board modem works, but every so often something glitches
the system into a suspend and back to showing the call screen.

Any bright ideas? Email internet address is vancleef at iastate.edu
--
Hank van Cleef
vancleef at iastate.edu	Iowa State University, Ames. Ia.