Why HDB?

DoN Nichols dnichols at ceilidh.beartrack.com
Thu May 9 12:44:54 AEST 1991

In article <336 at kyzyl.mi.org> tkacik at kyzyl.mi.org (Tom Tkacik) writes:
>I have grabbed HDB uucp from the osu archives, but have not yet installed it.
>I keep wondering if it is worth the trouble.
>
>What do I gain by running HDB?  I have a telebit modem running on tty000.
>Everything appears to be running smoothly.

	[ ... ]

>Am I missing anything?  Or should I just keep running the stock uucp?

	With your system's name, 'kyzy', and the apparent name of your feed,
'rphroy', probably no need to change.  With my system's name 'ceilidh', and
my feed's name 'beartrk', the names were geing truncated to six characters
by the stock uucp which came with 3.51.  (I got HDB and FIXDISK2.0 at the
same time, so I can't say whether FIXDISK2.0 would have fixed things by
itself.)

	My feed had to set up to expect calls from 'ceilid', and I had to
expect to be called by 'beartr'.  Just for aesthetic reasons, *I* had to
change to HDB.  (He was already running it, I beleve.)

	I do like having the extra security that this offers, even though I
trust my feed, and originate all calls.  (Another system receives calls, and
does no uucp transfers, just logins to a non-computer-oriented bbs.)

	Good luck with your choice
		DoN.

--
Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564