What is ATT UNIX PC?

Robert Platt rlp at yosemite.Berkeley.EDU
Thu May 23 09:18:43 AEST 1991

> >Are there anybody knows what is a computer ATT UNIX PC?
> >Some ammount of this computers appears in Moscow (USSR) now,
> >and nobody knows what is it. Off cause, there is some ammount of
> >documentations, but it is not for programmers...
> >
> >As far as I can understand this computer prodused (or designed)
> >in 1985. Is it usable anywhere in the world now?
> >
> >I am not regulary news reader, so if it is not hard for you
> >answer me to my address sir at hq.demos.su or sir at s514.ipmce.su.
>
> the AT&T unix PC is a 68010 based sys V (variant) unix box.
>
> for more info, please refer to comp.sys.3b1
>
> (the Unix PC is also known as the 3B1, or the 7300 PC and is very closely
> related to the Convergent miniframe)

	The AT&T UNIX PC runs a version of UNIX that's somewhere between SVR2
and SVR3.
	It was built by Convergent for AT&T until around 1986.  The machine was
unloaded
	on AT&T employees and via liquidators (companies that sell surplus equipment)
	after AT&T stopped marketing it.  It's still a useful machine (I have two) and
	wins the prize as the world's cheapest UNIX box.  Here's a sample hardware

		Processor: Motorola 68010 - 10 MHZ (~0.75 mips)
		Memory:    2 Megabytes
		Hard-disk: 40 Megabytes
		Modem:     1200 baud (internal)
		I/O ports: 1 Serial
			   1 Parallel
		Display:   720x380 pixel monochrome bit map
		Keyboard + Three button mouse

	There's an active group of both hardware and software hackers around
	the U.S. dedicated to keeping the machine alive and useful.  As the
	(including FAQ's) is the news group comp.sys.3b1

---
             Robert L. Platt
E-mail:      platt_bob at mpd.tandem.com (Work)     "Software is easy,
             rlp at cactus.org (CACTUS)              comedy is hard!"