help wrt UUCP between 3B1 OBM and TB

John Macdonald jmm at eci386.uucp
Fri May 10 01:33:10 AEST 1991

In article <1473 at ecicrl.ocunix.on.ca> clewis at ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) writes:
|The phfix program I just posted solved Mike's friend's problem - I just
|got e-mail from him thanking me for it.  [ ... ]

It solved my problem too.  I connect regularily now to a T2500
locked in at 19.2K baud.  I just had to comment out the part
that was trying to switch to tone dial - I'm too cheap to pay
Bell extra money to provide a service that costs them less than
the default :-).

|              [ ... ]  About 6 months ago someone posted something about a OBM
|utility that he was writing but hadn't finished and mentioned the PIOCOVSPD ioctl
|in passing, which is where I got the idea to try it.  Thank you whoever you
|were.

It was Emmet P. Gray (egray at fthood, unless that address is out of date),
author of pcomm.  I, too, thank you Emmet.

|Phfix was written without docs (so I had to guess at the invocations) to
|solve the TB problem as well as for some reason the builtin software could
|no longer set the modem to tone dial.  It could use some cleanup by someone
|who knows the right ioctl invocations.  On my system I've installed the
|invocation of phfix in the /etc/rc near the end.  It seems to work
|"permanently" - ie: it only has to be invoked once on boot.

Same here.

|However, I seem to remember someone telling me that phfix will not work
|with HDB UUCP on the 3b1 because HDB clobbers the setting each time it
|starts.

I've not had that happen.  It does not seem to get lost for me.
I am running HDB on a 3.5 system (soon to be 3.51m, but not yet).
--
sendmail - as easy to operate and as painless as using        | John Macdonald
manually powered dental tools on yourself - John R. MacMillan |   jmm at eci386