(*SIGH*) 3b1 monitor question.

Steve Wahl steve at digibd.com
Sat May 18 05:47:25 AEST 1991

I'm about ready to give myself a real hard kick for not saving previously
posted information on this!

My 7300 -turned- 3b1's monitor has taken it's final dive.  It started with
the scrunching of the characters on the right hand side of the monitor
and this symptom got progressively worse.  Now, my screen won't
unblank (maybe the screen blanker is broken? :-).  So I regret having
to ask the following questions, because if I was paying more attention
I would probably already know the answers.  Email answers will be
fine, but feel free to post if you feel this needs to be discussed
again.

First off, this problem seems fairly common.  Has anyone figured out
what components go bad and if the monitors can be repaired by
replacing a few components?

Second, are there any sources for replacement monitors?  Anyone have
a spare they'd like to sell?

Third, Thad was posting quite a bit about an alternative monitor he
was connecting (paper white, as I recall).  Did he ever get the
complete video to show up?  I seem to recall that the left edge of the
picture was missing or something.

BTW, I assume it is my monitor that went out and not the power supply.
The monitor runs off +12V, right?   What else, besides the hard disk
runs off of +12?  (I run the hard disk off of an external power
supply).  Everything else still seems to be functioning; I can still
log in over tty000 over a modem.  I don't want to power down yet because
I won't be able to see what's happening when I power back up!

And, as long as I'm posting, are there any sources for replacement
mice?  My mouse only goes vertically now.  I'm sure one of the
led/detector pairs is dead.

--> Steve

Steve Wahl               steve at digibd.com
Digi International, Inc.