kermit: cannot access phone

ac999321 ac999321 at umbc5.umbc.edu
Tue May 21 11:45:37 AEST 1991

Hello,

     Recently, I began having a problem with using Kermit (the latest
version from osu); after issuing the following commands:

   set line /dev/ph0
   set modem att7399
   dial 5555555    <- just an example #

I get the following message: "cannot access phone".

One time I was able to use phtoggle to clear up the problem because the
phone had somehow gotten switched over to voice (but I don't know how);
this time, no luck, and that apparently is not the problem, since when
I run "phstat /dev/ph0", the status returned is DATA.  Note that I have
disabled ua and usually run off of a terminal (however, it still won't
work right from the console either).  If I exec ua and try to use the
office phone program to make a data call, I have no problem of this
sort... *however*, when using the phone program to make data calls,
sometimes there is a problem, since the window that I am using for the
data call will, for no apparent reason will close and I can't re-open it;
the only solution is to hang up and call back.  The version of the
system software that I am using is 3.51.  HELP! This is driving me nuts.
Is anyone else familiar with these problems, or have any ideas???  Thanks
in advance for any help or info!