Problems compiling perl4.003 on the UNIXPC/3B1

Charles A. Sefranek cals at cals01.NEWPORT.RI.US
Sun May 12 06:15:38 AEST 1991

In article <1991May3.183553.3605 at cjsa.wa.com> jeff at cjsa.wa.com (Jeffery Small) writes:
>When compiling perl4.003 on the 3B1 using the stock compiler (Version 3.51m),
>I get the following messages for toke.o (and ttoke.o):

 [ messages deleted ]...

>This turns out to be a problem with a pre-existing #define in <sys/file.h>
>as follows:

 [ more deleted ]...

>Before I hack things up I wanted to see if there was a standard patch or
>fix for this condition?  Have others gotten perl to compile on this platform
>without problems?  Are you including sys/file.h in your config.sh?

I successfully built and installed perl 4.0.3 using both the stock /bin/cc
and the ccc tool (snarfed from the net) to include shared libraries.
The log from my configure run states that Larry's configure program decided
*not* to include <sys/file.h>.

Here's what I did:

 For stock /bin/cc (no shared libraries):

 1) Take the defaults for all configure questions (don't use a previous
    config.sh run!!). Make sure you leave the compiler definition as 'cc'.
    I even left the -O optimizer flag alone - it worked OK.
 2) At the shell escape, edit config.sh as follows:
    a) Change d_voidsig to undef
    b) Change d_tosignal to int
 3) Complete the make process per instructions. (It took a *LONG* time
    to compile, more than 2 hours!!)

 For shared libraries:

 1) Again take the defaults for all configure questions, EXCEPT:
    a) Where it asks about additional libraries, don't include -lmalloc
       My run had -lndir and -lm
    Don't try to use /bin/ccc for the compiler - Configure blows up on it.
 2) At the shell escape, edit config.sh as follows:
    a) Change d_voidsig to undef
    b) Change d_tosignal to int
    c) Change cc to /bin/ccc
 3) Complete the make process per instructions. (It still takes a *LONG* time
    to compile !!).

Your mileage may vary depending on your machines configuration.  I'm using
a fairly standard 3b1, 2 Meg RAM, 67 Meg HD with Doug Gwen's directory
library routines installed.
 Charlie Sefranek
Home: cals at cals01.NEWPORT.RI.US		 Work: c4s at sgfb.ssd.ray.com
  {I heard Kuwait is burning the midnight oil, but this is ridiculous!}