uucico "windows" patch (3 to 7)

Michael Snyder mps at hawkeye.UUCP
Wed May 29 15:59:36 AEST 1991

From: ssb at quest.UUCP (Scott Bertilson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.3b1
Subject: patching "windows" from 3 to 7 in uucico
Date: 25 May 91 15:22:32 GMT

Scott Bertilson (ssb at quest.UUCP) writes:

> [... deleted ...]
>   Hacking "windows" makes a substantial difference on our SCO machine
> (news machine with V.32 modems).  (It is an easy change to make on
> the SCO machines because they made "windows" a variable in data
> space and leave the symbols on "uucico".)  We saw our incoming
> transfer rate rise from just over 700 to 850 after making the
> change.  Your improvement may not be as substantial if you're
> using a Telebit with UUCP spoofing.
> [... deleted ...]

I just applied this to my HDB uucico executable, and saw a great improvement
in transfer rates with uunet (up to 220 bytes/sec, from 160 bytes/sec before).

As he pointed out though, the location to patch *CAN* differ between versions
and implementations of uucico...  my patch went at 0x8720e, where his went at
0x875d2.  DO FOLLOW HIS DIRECTIONS ON LOCATING THE CONTEXT OF THE OPERAND DATA
TO BE CHANGED!!!!

Scott, my sincerest thanks.

Michael Snyder
| THE BEE (author unknown)            | Michael P. Snyder    |
|  She is a busy soul.                | P.O. Box 135         |
|  She has no time for birth control. | Cresco, Iowa  52136  |
|  There are so many "Sons of Bees".  | mps at hawkeye.com      |