Failure of iswind()

Floyd Davidson floyd at ims.alaska.edu
Sun May 26 14:57:39 AEST 1991

In article <1509 at das13.snide.com> dave at das13.snide.com (Dave Snyder) writes:
>In article <1991May24.203238.7990 at sci.ccny.cuny.edu>, jeffrey at sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Jeffrey L Bromberger) writes:
>-> Just for fun, I tried the following command from my VAX to my
>-> ethernet'ted 3b1:
>->
>-> % rsh notvax /usr/games/klondike
>->
>-> Now, considering the fact that I'm not logged in on the console, this
>-> should fail.
>->
>-> Any idea why all these games (klondike/mahjongg/rocks/bugs) all have
>-> this behavior?  Is it only seen when using the ethernet package?
>
>It also happens to me when I try to run a bitmapped game from a terminal
>on tty000.

It sounds like iswind() might be broken?  Or maybe the
programs aren't even checking?

I've always used "ioctl(0,WIOCGETD,&wd)", see window(7), to
determine if the display was bit mapped.  It will fail and
return non-zero if stdin (fd = 0) is not bitmapped.  I'm
sure it works for terminals connected to serial ports, but
haven't checked it over an ethernet.

Floyd
--
Floyd L. Davidson   | Alascom, Inc. pays me, |UA Fairbanks Institute of Marine
floyd at ims.alaska.edu| but not for opinions.  |Science suffers me as a guest.