CRASH!!

andrew peter.cropley cropley at cbnewsf.cb.att.com
Fri May 31 13:23:04 AEST 1991

 Fellow 3b1er's ,

    HELP!!!

    I recently had a hard disk crash. I lost unix and the /usr directory.
  With a little luck and using fsck and fsdb I was able recover most of my
  data files into lost+found. However, I have no file names!! They are all
  just named with thier respective i-node numbers!!

    I have fixed the system so that it boots and there is a /usr directory.
  I want to move some of my installed packages back into the proper places.
  (Original disks proved not usable.) I have manged to do this with 1 package.
  however, I need some help with a few others.

    What I am looking for is :

          1) A list from a cpio archive for the packages I need.

     I only need the listing with the "t" option so I can see each filename
     and the file size. This way based on size I should be able to rename the
     files to the correct name.

          2) A copy of the install script so I make sure I put all the files
     back where they belong.

    It is so frustrating knowning I have all the software but can't use it.

  The packages I need info on are:

            VOICE : System Software
            VOICE : Email
            VOICE : Answering Machine
            Microsoft Word

   I would be most indebted to any one who can help me.

                     MANY THANKS
                                 Andy

   You can send responses to me at

      cropley at cbnewsf.at.com