MSDOS encryption (ALSO: new MORE.COM program info)

Jim "Jack" Frost madd at bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP
Sun Dec 21 05:45:39 AEST 1986

In article <2256 at homxb.UUCP> gritz at homxb.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) writes:
>Has anyone ever heard of an MSDOS program that will encrypt a file
>in the same fashion that the UNIX command "crypt" works.  Crypt reads
>the standard input and, based on a password, encrypts it and writes
>it to the standard output.  The encryption mechanisim is similar to the
>Enigma machine.
>
>I am interested in public domain or similar free software, possibly from
>someone within AT&T (I would have restriced this posting to AT&T except
>our LAME BRAIN postnews software doesn't understand "att").
>
>Is anyone else interested in such a program?

I was and I wrote one.  It is very non-standard:  I wrote the
encryption scheme myself.  (Note:  if anyone knows how DES works,
please email me a description.  I'd like to see how my method compares
to theirs.)  Anyway, it's fully tested and very difficult to decrypt.
If anyone wants it, email me and I'll send it to you, uuencoded.  If
you want it on disk (I hate crossloading stuff), then mail me a disk
with return postage and I'll throw it (and some other useful stuff) on
the disk and return it.  USnail:

	Jim Frost
	75 Washington Street
	Laconia, NH  03246
	ATTN: Disk enclosed, forward if necessary

The ATTN line is to make it get to me fastest.  My mail gets forwarded
by hand when I'm not at home if you ask for it.  Anyway, my crypt
program reads from a file and puts to standard output.

Also:

Not too long ago I told everybody about a new MORE.COM that I wrote
that worked like UNIX "less" utility.  Well, about a thousand people
asked for it, so I'm going to post it as soon as I can get hold of a
modem to kermit it across to UNIX.  *Please* stop sending requests!
They're getting out of hand....

Keep hacking.
                   - Jim Frost * The Madd Hacker -
UUCP:  ..!harvard!bu-cs!bucsb!madd | ARPANET: madd at bucsb.bu.edu
CSNET: madd%bucsb at bu-cs            | BITNET:  cscc71c at bostonu