O_SYNC and filesystem updating

hope at gatech.UUCP hope at gatech.UUCP
Sat Feb 7 00:10:59 AEST 1987

I realize that this subject may have already been beaten to death, but:

When a (regular) file is opened with the O_SYNC flag, the write
syscalls "will not return until both the file data and file status
have been physically updated." (System V 'write' man page)

By "file status" are we to assume that the write syscall also waits for
the superblock to be updated due to inode information changing?  Also, does
it wait for the update of the directory where the file resides (e.g. in
the event of file creation)?

I don't really have the time to look through the source code, and would
appreciate any insight or knowledge on the subject.

Thanks.
--
Theodore Hope
School of Information & Computer Science, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332