7300 UNIX PC

amh at toylnd.UUCP amh at toylnd.UUCP
Sat Feb 14 14:56:12 AEST 1987

     Hi, I'm a graduate student at the University of Virginia.  Strangely
enough though I never worked for AT&T I own half of a 7300 UNIX PC.
After seeing that the price had been dropped on the machine in "INFO WORLD"
I thought it might be a good time to get a whole machine of my own.
Enquiring after the price of a 7300 system at our local student computer
store (Cavalier computers) has been an exercise in frustration.  They
talked to their AT&T rep about the latest discount prices but he says
he doesn't have them.  The passage of a month hasn't brought any more progress.
    Seeing as how their appears to be a block on this end of the pipeline I
attempted to push from the other end by calling the AT&T hotline and
get someone to either supply the information to our local AT&T
rep or at least push on him to get it for himself.  Unfortunately the
person I ended up talking to didn't know the prices either and espoused
that there was nothing further they could do.
     I've heard of lousy marketing but being unwilling to sell machines
that you purportedly market to a willing customer has to take the cake.
I know that a 386 based PC clone is a whole lot more bang for my buck
but I intensely dislike the 8?86 architecture and would rather take
a lower performance machine than support "first with the worst".
The 7300 is a nice machine in a nice package with reasonably good software,
quite over priced but nice.  If I can get a good price on it I may buy another
one but I certainly can't if no one will sell me one.  Is their anyone out
there who can help me?

Anne M. Holler

Snail:
2411 Peyton Dr. Apt 207