Rebooting without obnoxious delay

wtm at neoucom.UUCP wtm at neoucom.UUCP
Wed Feb 25 02:07:27 AEST 1987

Hi ganag,

	I finally figured out how I could "boot" those nasty TSR
programs from memory from a batch file.  I couldn't do it from the
keyboard, since the system I was talking to was connected to my
terminal via modem.

	When you're in a hurry, the cold boot time dealy for the
hard disk can drive you crazy.  Fortunately, the cold boot does
look for a glimmer of warmth still left in the machine.
Specifically, if localtation 0040:0072 contains the magic cookie
1234H, the machine skips over the memory test and spin-up delay.

	The following short .COM program is a effectively the warm
boot that should be done by INT 19H (which, on the AT&T, M-19(?),
and Xerox 606x seems to be brain-damaged).

	Store the following stuff in an ms-dos file called
WARMBOOT.TXT.
--------------------cut here (begin WARMBOOT.TXT)---------------
N WARMBOOT.COM
A 100
MOV AX,0040
MOV DS,AX
MOV AX,1234
MOV [0072],AX
JMP F000:FFF0

R CX
10
--------------------cut here (end of WARMBOOT.COM)---------------
	Note that you have to be sure that you include the blank
line after the JMP instruction, as this is how you exit from
"assemble" mode in DEBUG.

	Now that you did that, feed the .TXT file to DEBUG.COM,
which should be in the same directory with WARMBOOT.COM.  Use
redirection:  DEBUG < WARMBOOT.TXT.  The necessary file,
WARMBOOT.COM will be produced in the same directory.  Of course,
you could also enter the changes into DEBUG by hand.

	To put WARMBOOT.COM to work, simply issue the WARMBOOT
command at the DOS prompt, or else include it at the end of your
favorite .BAT file.

	I won't make any promises, other than the fact that this
seems to work O.K. on the mahcines (rom 1.21) that I am using!  You
have to assume the risk if you use the above programming tip on
your own machine (the boss says that I have to say that).

  Best wishes,
  Bill

Bill Mayhew, EE
Divsion of Basic Medical Sciences
Northeastern Ohio Universities' College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272  USA    phone:  216-325-2511
(wtm at neoucom.UUCP    ...!cbatt!neoucom!wtm)