Hard-card disk drives in the 6300

Bill Mayhew wtm at neoucom.UUCP
Sun Jan 4 14:53:53 AEST 1987

Hi,

Mark Horton dropped me a note relating a personal experience with a
Tandon card style drive.  Mark pointed out that the Tandon drive is
somewhat bulkier than the Plus and tnat the Tandon drive is
designed to be anchored with screws at both the front and rear ends
of the machine.  The rear attachment (had to think for a minute how
to phase that to avoid a tacky pun) would be the same as most other
cards-- no problem.

According to Mark, the drive attaches in front with a metal bracket
where you remove the IBM's plastic card guide channel and use two
screws though the holes in the chassis where the card guide used to
be.

Of course, we have a problem here since the card rack inside the
6300's cabinet is one piece for all the slots and there are no
holes as in the IBM chassis.  By the way, Mark stated that the
Tandon drive functioned properly, but could have become troublesome
as it was not fastened securely as would be optimal.

I guess that puts an end to this discussion.  The moral is to be
sure to inspect the mounting method used on the drive card you are
considering for the 6300 before you irreversibly lay your money
down.  Buyer beware when dealing with mail order-- but you alreay
must have known that!  Thanks to all who responded,

Bill