3b1 failure

Peter J. Holsberg pjh at mccc.UUCP
Mon Apr 11 01:58:02 AEST 1988

Strangest darned thing happened yesterday.  I hit the reset button on my
3b1 and it started to reboot, but after displaying

	Seaching hard disk
	**********************

it quit!  And each time, I hit the reset button, the same thing happened.
So I tried the diagnostics floppy, and ran the HD, keyboard, video,
memory, and processor tests, and the machine passed all of them.  I
tried to reboot, and it stuck in the same place.

Then I booted the diagnostics floppy again, and ran the non-destructive
surface test.  It came up with 11 bad blocks.  Next I reformated the HD
and installed the Foundation Set (3.51) again.  Everything seemed fine.
I installed the communications s/w, and then hit reset again.  Guess
what?  It locked up in the same place!

I'm presently mystified.  Anyone have any ideas?

How long is the warranty on a 3b1??

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334