3b1 3.51a kernel

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.UUCP
Wed Apr 13 07:28:50 AEST 1988

In article <11147 at shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> jimmy at PIC.UCLA.EDU (Jim Gottlieb) writes:

|>My machine is out of warranty, but I called the Hotline today and they are
|>shipping a fixdisk out tomorrow.  They say that some bad copies shipped
|>out 2 weeks ago are the source of the problems reported (should I believe
|>them?).

Well you can cpio the floppies in your directory with:

	$ cd /tmp
	$ mkdir fixes
	$ cd fixes
	$ cpio -iduvmcB </dev/rfp021
	$ cd kernel
	$ sum UNIX*
	45337 165 UNIX3.51a

If they don't match then something is up!  I wouldn't answer "Y" to install
the custom kernel then.  You can install all the other fixes.

|>There is a bug in ph/async_main that causes the PID number in the lock
|>file to be off by one, wreaking havoc with HDB.  I asked if this bug was
|>fixed, and was told that it isn't a bug as evidenced by a comment in the
|>source that says "increment the PID."  Great!  Looks like kludge time, since
|>I know I don't have the knowledge required to patch the binary.

Yeah, tell me about it!  Stupid if that's the case in the phone-manager
code.  It seems like there's a lot of kludges in the OS.  I wish I had the
source [plea to the UNIX-god] ;-)

My only kludge-to-fix-the-kludge solution is to do a:

	# cd /usr/lib/uucp
	# mv uusched uusched.bin
	# vi uusched

	... Insert this code ...

#
# Check for the presence of the async emulator or other communications
# programs before rudely hanging up on user. (HDB uucp only)
#
ps -e > /tmp/$$ps
running=""
running=`fgrep async /tmp/$$ps`
if [ -z "${running}" ]
then
	running=`fgrep uusched /tmp/$$ps`
	if [ -z "${running}" ]
	then
		running=`fgrep kermit /tmp/$$ps`
		if [ -z "${running}" ]
		then
			running=`fgrep term /tmp/$$ps`
			if [ -z "${running}" ]
			then
				rm -f /tmp/$$ps
				exec /usr/lib/uucp/uusched.bin
			fi
		fi
	fi

fi
rm -f /tmp/$$ps
exit 1

This will stop the uusched process from starting up uucico and hanging
up on the user!

						-Lenny
--
US MAIL  : Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group        IIIII  CCC U   U  SSS
           PO Box 1                                     I   C    U   U S