7300 uucp trouble with setgetty!

Sanford L. Barr slb at slbtoy.UUCP
Sat Apr 9 04:22:40 AEST 1988

	Since I posted my original request for help I've received mail
from a few other 3b1/7300 owners with the same problems.

	My situation is as follows - My site (7300) calls another local
site (3b1) for a news feed.  I'm running the standard UUCP that was
distributed with the machine.  The other site is running HDB UUCP.
The transfer works fine... I receive all the incoming news.  Then,
when the machines are about to hangup, my machine spawns a "getoff.sh".
"getoff.sh" is a shell script that calles "setgetty" which is supposed
to take the getty off the modem line (why?  I don't know - it should be
spawning a new one insead shouldn't it?).  Anyhow, the setgetty call hangs
FOREVER - which causes the uucico process to wait around, which stops
my news from being processed.

	My apologies if it's confusing - but that's what I see happening.
The only solution I've come across so far is writing a little deamon that
checks "ps" for any setgetty's that have been sitting around for over a
minuite and kills them.

	Does anyone know what's causing this?  Or am I going to have
to try my hand at the AT&T hotline.

						San