Systems File for 3b2

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.UUCP
Wed Apr 20 00:32:30 AEST 1988

In article <348 at spock.UUCP>, blyman at spock.UUCP (Bill Lyman ) writes:
>   Okay I give up. I am trying to get a 3b2310 to call a machine between
>  1:00 am and 2:00 am in the morning. My System entry is as such.
> Machine_name 0100-0200 ACU 1200 phone_no _________ etc
>    My poll statment is as follows
> Machine_name 1
>
>    It is giving me messages that it is the wrong time to call. I have tried
> 2200-0300 and it stills say wrong time to call.

This common problem is cause by cron not knowing how to export the
proper TZ (timezone) environment variable; the default EST5EDT gets
used.  This can be fixed three ways:

	(1) move to New Jersey
	(2) get SVR3 -- it handles TZ correctly
	(3) put ". /etc/TIMEZONE" everywhere.

Option (3) means you need to add the above line to the beginning
of /usr/lib/uucp/uudemon.poll and /usr/lib/uudemon.hour if you are
using the standard Poll scheme, or at the top of your shell scripts.
There are other solutions to the incoming-mail-has-the-wrong-time
problem, but that is for another day.

MORAL: Always include ". /etc/TIMEZONE" at the start of scripts
       run from cron.

--
Steve Friedl   V-Systems, Inc.  Wizard of undocumented 3B options
friedl at vsi.com    {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl   attmail!vsi!friedl