3b1 3.51a kernel

Bob Rose rrr at naucse.UUCP
Sat Apr 9 07:45:14 AEST 1988

In article <1603 at lll-lcc.aRpA>, dre at lll-lcc.aRpA (Douglas R. East) writes:
> I have a major problem with the kernel on my 3.51a fix disk that I wonder
> if anyone else is having problem with.  After installing the fixes and
> rebooting, the processer hangs.

Same thing here! But wasn't that wonderful advice:
   "You must reboot system for fixes to take place."

I guess they thought if you couldn't reboot you wouldn't
know if they fixed it or not (half :^)

> Since everyone else seems to have a working 3.51a
> kernel, I suspect that the floppy AT&T sent is corrupted.  A sum(1) on the
> kernel is: 11710 165 UNIX3.51a

Who! What a coincidence! Every thing on my floppy worked also except for
of course the kernal. I guess the two happen to be corrupted in the
same place (Like at AT&T.) I don't know about the size thing, I'm not
at home on my machine.

> [who do I build a bootable floppy. I had to reinstall everything
> to reboot]

The 3.51 does have a bootable floppy (Ya I know, doesn't do ya much
good now but maybe the next person.) I ask some friend of mine who
have 3b1's and they said `Far out' (sorry steve :^) The bootable
floppy is (drum roll please) floppy 4 of 12 of the foundation set.
After finding this out (by trial and error) I felt so silly asking
for help since of course this isn't documented ANYWHERE!

> I was really peeved, as you might suspect--all I needed to do was relink
> /unix with /UNIX3.51.  Oh well, I suppose I'm better for it...

Really, I was more the peeved :^) But when you boot disk 4 of 12
you will get a `#' for a prompt with no cursor, from here you have
access to the hard disk and can use any command. (like ln /UNIX3.51 /unix)

> I do thank AT&T for their prompt action on sending me the fix disk.  I
> understand that these things happen sometimes (but why always to me?).

dito! (But the service wasn't that prompt)

                              -bob
Robert R. Rose
Northern Arizona University, Box 15600
Flagstaff, AZ 86011