Reports on Trailblazer modems (especially with 3B2 and IBM PCs)

Collett Donald L jpdres14 at usl-pc.UUCP
Fri Apr 15 23:02:59 AEST 1988

In article <1084 at neoucom.UUCP> you write:

>What upset me was that Infoworld gave the AT&T 6386WGS a rather bad
>review in the '386 machine round-up.  Of course, they were just
>rating the msdos performance, which would miss many of the true
>features of the 6386WGS that are Unix-related.  In our test suite
>composed of Bourne shell procedures, we found that the 6386WGS
>perfomred at up to twice the speed of an IBM model 80 (16 MHz)
>running SCO Xenix 386 2.2.  Naturally, the difference is very
>dependent on the flavor of *nix running.  Most if not all of AT&T's
>Unix is native '386 code, while most, of Xenix is still 8086 code.
>In particular Xenix's sed is still 8086.  Xenix's shells, vi, and
>ed are '386 binaries.

I have been considering buying either an AT&T 6386WGS and was wondering if you
could tell me a few things about this computer.  Has there been any problems
with the computer or the Unix it comes with?  What kind of modems can be
installed in it and how well do they work with the computer?  Do you know if
this machine will run the new AT&T Unix System V Release 4.0 that will be
coming out in about a year?  It was my understanding that this machine is
shipped with AT&T Unix System V Release 3.2 already on it.  Thank you for
your time.

Don Collett
jpdres14 at usl-pc.USL
ut-sally!usl-pc!jpdres14