3b1 3.51a kernel

a.d.hay adh at anumb.UUCP
Mon Apr 11 22:25:24 AEST 1988

In article <1603 at lll-lcc.aRpA> dre at lll-lcc.aRpA (Douglas R. East) writes:
>This brings up another question, has anyone or can you build a bootable
>floppy which you can run, of course, a minimal system under?  I had to
>reload the entire foundation set using the 3.51 upgrade procedure since
>I didn't have such a beast--the 3.51 distribution does have a bootable
>floppy and floppy file system although I haven't taken the time,
>admittedly, to look at what is really on there.  In any case, it doesn't
>allow one to do anything, it just goes through its upgrade script.  I
>was really peeved, as you might suspect--all I needed to do was relink
>/unix with /UNIX3.51.  Oh well, I suppose I'm better for it...  I do
>thank AT&T for their prompt action on sending me the fix disk.  I
>understand that these things happen sometimes (but why always to me?).
>--
>Doug East						(415) 423-0332
>UUCP: ..!{ames,dual,ihnp4,ptsfa,qantel}!lll-lcc!dre
>      ..!ptsfa!{pbcast,lll-lcc}!fido!dre
>ARPA: dre at lll-lcc.llnl.gov

sounds like what you're looking for is the hard disk boot floppy.
this simply has the loader and kernel on it.

i'll let you all in on a secret: the installation script is a shell program;
you can <DEL> out of it at any time!

also, it is possible to make a bootable floppy.
all the files you need are already on the system,
mostly in /usr/lib/iv.
look at /usr/bin/Fformat.sh, and read up on iv(1m) and mkfs(1m).

happy 3b1 owner		|	"Something wonderful will happen!"	|