6386 <-> 3B1 floppy compatibility?

Prentiss Riddle riddle at woton.UUCP
Fri Apr 29 03:13:36 AEST 1988

We have just gotten a 6386 on 31-day trial from AT&T and have lots of
questions.  Here's one:

Does anyone know whether it is possible to write a floppy on a UNIX PC
and read it on a 6386 WSG, or vice-versa?  I've already determined by
experiment that the mountable floppy formats are incompatible.  What
about cpio floppies, etc?

In desperation we may have to settle for writing DOS-format floppies on
the 3B1 using "mtools" and then reading them under VP/ix DOS on the
386!  :-(   (Once we receive the VP/ix software, that is...)

-- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
-- Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.
-- riddle%woton.uucp at cs.utexas.edu  {ihnp4,uunet}!ut-sally!im4u!woton!riddle