3b1 3.51a kernel (LONG)

Rusty Hodge rusty at hodge.UUCP
Tue Apr 12 09:23:19 AEST 1988

Now that we all know the 'secret' way to get into single-user floppy
based Unix, you might want to save yourself some time and create
a set of disks configured the way you like.

First, edit /etc/profile.  This is where the script for all those
annoying install messages are.  Edit it to include the paths to where
all the good stuff is on your hard disk (/mnt/bin, /mnt/usr/bin, ...).

Second, copy over a few of those very important utilities like fsck and
fsdb (for the brave).

Third- make sure that the floppy file system disk is NOT WRITE
PROTECTED.  Most programs like to be able to write to /tmp, which is
now on the floppy.

Finally, I advise yu to create a little script to copy those ever so
important files into a backup directory.  Run this script nightly via
cron.  Things that I backup include the passwd file, the uucp sys
files, the news sys file, so on.  That way, if you have to ever
re-build by re-installing the foundation set, you won't have to worry
about it removing some of those ever important files.

p.s.- My 3.51a fix disk was crappy too.