3b1 3.51a kernel

Mike Ditto ford at kenobi.UUCP
Sun Apr 10 02:07:19 AEST 1988

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.41.10 of Fri Oct  2 1987 on kenobi (usg-unix-v)

In article <1603 at lll-lcc.aRpA> dre at lll-lcc.aRpA (Douglas R. East) writes:

> This brings up another question, has anyone or can you build a bootable
> floppy which you can run, of course, a minimal system under?  I had to
> reload the entire foundation set using the 3.51 upgrade procedure since
> I didn't have such a beast--the 3.51 distribution does have a bootable
> floppy and floppy file system although I haven't taken the time,
> admittedly, to look at what is really on there.  In any case, it doesn't
> allow one to do anything, it just goes through its upgrade script.  I
> was really peeved, as you might suspect--all I needed to do was relink
> /unix with /UNIX3.51.

If you boot off the "Floppy Boot" and "Floppy Filesystem" disks, it
will ask you some question like "Do you want to install the foundation
set?".  At that point, typing a rubout (shift-escape) will get you a
root shell in single user mode.  The floppy is the root filesystem
(read-only), with the hard drive mounted on /mnt.  It even
automatically puts /mnt/etc in the path, if I remember correctly.

The window driver is not loaded, so all you have is /dev/console,
which really sucks, as you know if you've ever used it.  There is no
cursor and it does not support any cursor movement other than
backspace and newline, so "vi" is out of the question.

					-=] Ford [=-

"Once there were parking lots,		(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
now it's a peaceful oasis.		ford%kenobi at crash.CTS.COM
This was a Pizza Hut,			...!sdcsvax!crash!kenobi!ford
now it's all covered with daisies." -- Talking Heads