3B2 uucico blues

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.UUCP
Wed Apr 13 15:41:25 AEST 1988

At some point in the past, I wrote:
> Aaaargh.  We repeatedly have difficulties with uucico hanging up
> on large binary transfers....

     Mikel Manitius (mikel at codas.att.com) suggested that that the
modem might be responding to a quit sequence -- that was the
problem.  My AT&T 4024 modem responded to `$ :' (dollar colon but
no space) as a request to go into command-mode, much like PAUSE
+++ PAUSE works for a Hayes-compatible modem.

     The fix is to insure that option 12 (transparent data modem)
be set to "y" in your Dialers script.  Those who got their
scripts from the Hotline probably have the right info, but if you
have a 4024 modem, make sure you see "o12=y" somewhere in there.
In addition, it appears that option 4 (received-space-disconnect)
should be No so a BREAK won't disconnect you.  This is set with
"o4=n".

     Thanks to everybody who offered suggestions on this problem.

     Steve
--
Steve Friedl   V-Systems, Inc.   "Yes, I'm jeff at unh's brother"
friedl at vsi.com  {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl  attmail!vsi!friedl