Question about phone connections

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.UUCP
Sun Aug 21 03:44:18 AEST 1988

This is directed to all you tip+ring hacks out there.

What are the official names for the little six and eight pin
modular connectors used on phones and the 3B2?  Most people refer
to these as RJ-11 and RJ-45 connectors, but I seem to recall
reading that RJ-xx refers to a connection, not a connector,
and that RJ-11, RJ-12, and RJ-13 all use the little six-pin plug.

Is this the case?  If so, it seems to me that this is like people
referring to a DB-25 as an "RS-232 connector".  Also, what does
the designation "RJ" stand for?  Any trivia would be most
appreciated (please email, I'll summarize).

     Steve
--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc.  +1 714 545 6442    3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl at vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl