QIC capacity on 3B2/x00

Mark F. Proudman mfp at sobeco.UUCP
Sat Aug 6 00:20:11 AEST 1988

In article <314 at uucsbb.UUCP>, wgh at uucsbb.UUCP (Bill Hutchison) writes:
> We need to exchange data between an AT&T 3b2/[45]00 and some other UNIX
> systems via cartridge tape.  The other systems have QIC 45 or QIC 150 drives.
> What standard QIC drives does (if any) does the 3b2 support?

3B2/400's until very recently came only with an (expletive deleted) formatable
tape (I once made a file system on one - just for fun. fsck took hours).  600's
have standard QIC 24 tapes, exchangeable with just about anything else. I have
seen some newer 400's with what are referred to as "60 Meg SCSI drives" (the old
formatable ones took only 23Meg on a 600 foot tape); whether these are standard
or commonly available I don't know.  I don't have experience with 500's or
700's but AT&T support types have told me that they too are QIC-24.

The only way I ever found to get anything to and from a 3B2/400 was uucp.

>  (And the same question re Sun workstations, if you happen to know).

I have both read and written QIC-24 tapes on Sun 3's; I think the device
was /dev/rst0.  But for some reason I didn't look into /dev/rst8 etc don't
work - or didn't in my case.

Mark Proudman	uunet!attcan!sobeco!mfp
		(514) 878 9090
"It is agreed that the ice is thin here" - K&R.