AT&T 386 UNIX Vr3.1

John Canning john at banzai.UUCP
Mon Aug 29 10:30:45 AEST 1988

In article <145 at carpet.WLK.COM> bill at carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>...Microport (to their credit) has virtual consoles, i.e. with
>a flick of a keyboard button you're on a different console.  That's missing
>from what you get from AT&T.

    With the AT&T port of Unix Vr3.1, you get a program named shl, which
    offers you virtual consoles (up to 8) on the main console, as well
    as on remote terminals.

>...AT&T's compiler doesn't write code that the assembler can't assemble.

    It has been my experience that the AT&T compiler will generate code
    which results in a syntax error from the assembler.  This situation
    usually crops up on certain bit-field operations which could be
    considered non-standard.  However, the C-compiler does not report
    an error, nor does lint....

>AT&T's uugetty doesn't get into debates with an intelligent modem who wants
>to talk about answering the phone.

    However, uugetty is not smart enough to program the modem when you
    first turn the system on.  You must first call a bogus number before
    the modem will be set to answer.

Bill also mentioned that the VP/ix from AT&T works.  The one experience I
had with it resulted in a big mess in the free list.  I'd hate to see
what Microport's version does.

That's all.