(386) Unix (In)compatibilities Summary

Greg Woods woods at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
Sat Aug 27 12:05:49 AEST 1988

In article <1393 at spp2.UUCP> baur at spp2.UUCP (Steven L. Baur) writes:
> in article <1988Aug19.200035.5056 at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>, woods at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Greg Woods) says:
> > I wouldn't call it coincidence.  I would have been VERY suprised if
> > something didn't work.
>
> UNIX binaries are not in general compatible across versions of UNIX for the
> same CPU.
> For example, most MC68k Unix systems call programs [......]

I was talking about the i386 versions!!!!!!!!!!

I don't give a shit about the many different ways the dozens (if not
more) ports of the dozens (again: if not more) versions of Unix to the
MC68K series of cpu's operate!

ALL current i386 implementations of Unix System V Release 3 are derived
from the same porting base (as far as I know) [ NOTE:  The Sun 386i Unix
is an apparently a port of SunOS, which is BSD 4.2 derived (YEAH!). ]
{ Can I state this any clearer?  Is "clearer" a word?  Can I state this
any more clearly?  Now _I'm_ confused. :-) }

Any incompatabilities possible between these versions MUST be due to
differences in device drivers (ioctl's) or other features added by the
vendor.  (ie:  ISC probably add kernel support for VP/ix in ways
different from the kernel support Microport will have to add/have added
for Merge/386.)

ANY binary compiled from sources that conform to the SVID _should_ run
on any derivative of this version of Unix, regardless of which version
it was originally compiled on, and regardless of which compiler was used.

I am _extremely_ interested in hearing from anyone with contradictory
experiences.
--
						Greg Woods.

UUCP: utgpu!woods, utgpu!{ontmoh, ontmoh!ixpierre}!woods
VOICE: (416) 242-7572 [h]		LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario, Canada