Application Operating Environment?

John Roberts jroberts at attvcr.UUCP
Fri Aug 26 03:23:50 AEST 1988

In article <817 at vsi.UUCP>, droman at vsi.UUCP (Dave Droman) writes:
> Does anyone know what this "Application Operating Environment" is?  Is it
> a style guide, program, marketing fluff, or what?  We are an AT&T VAR/ISV
> and should probably know this stuff.

The AOE is really marketing fluff right now, although some (saner?)
heads would call it a "statement of direction".

It is often compared with IBM's SAA.

It's really an attempt to extend the hardware independence offered by
Unix to a higher level, that is, to extend the set of standard utilites
that one can expect to find on a Unix box.  The areas that are being addressed
right now are User Interface, Program Development, Data Management, and
Networking.  For each area, AT&T has listed products that it will provide
on all of its Unix machines, from the 6386 to the 3B4000.  It should be noted
that Sun and Unisys have indicated some (don't know how much) support for
this idea.

In User Interface, X, NeWS, and Open Look are the products supported.
For Program Development, it's C, COBOL, and Fortran.
Data Management includes SQL and ATMI.  Networking is TLI, uucp, RFS, NFS,
mail, RPC, OSI, TCP, IP, etc., etc., etc.

There's a lot more to it, and I suggest you get some manuals that describe
it in a lot more detail.  Besides, I'm probably wrong ;^} .

Try these: AOE Interface Overview  350-131
	   AOE Support Product Overview  350-130
 		or
	   AOE Overview Set  350-132  (includes both)

from the CIC at 800-432-6600 (US) or 800-255-1242 (Canada)

John M. Roberts            AT&T Canada  Vancouver  BC
(604) 689-8911             {alberta,uw-beaver}!ubc-cs!attvcr!jroberts
What! Me Worry?		   attmail!jmroberts