WANTED: 3b1 ram expansion

wilber at alice.UUCP wilber at alice.UUCP
Wed Aug 17 14:13:40 AEST 1988

<In article <591 at proxftl.UUCP>, aaron at proxftl.UUCP writes:
<> I have a 3b1 (2mb ram, 67mb HD), and I really need another 2 megs or so. Does
<> anyone know where I can get this or have some for sale?
<
<I'm not _entirely_ certain, but a knowledgable person (someone who
<used to be an _official_ repair person for the 3b1) told me that
<the MMU in the 3b1 could only handle 2.5 megs of real memory.
<Anyone know anything about this?
<--------
<	Christopher J. Calabrese
<	AT&T Bell Laboratories
<	ulysses!cjc

You can have up to 4Mb of real memory on a 3b1.  In practice the limit is
usually 3.5 Mb, since most people would rather get a combo board with 1.5 Mb
and two serial ports than a RAM board with 2 Mb and no serial ports.  Because
of a limitation of the MMU, the maximum user memory *per process* is 2.5 Mb.
At least that is how I understand the situation.

Bob Wilber